Monday, June 28, 2010

Quick Update

Well we found out another piece of the puzzle today.  Nicole tested negative for the BRCA gene. BRCA is commonly called the 'breast cancer' gene because women who test positive for changes in this gene are the most likely to get breast cancer.  With BRCA, you are much more 'destined' to get cancer than, like Nicole, just having some seriously bad luck.

A negative test means the likelihood of recurrence is much less than if she were positive.  In most cases of a positive test, the doctors will recommend a double mastectomy because the recurrence rate can go as high as 60-80%!

Again, this is a positive development that keeps all treatment options available, and we're one step closer to having a plan to beat this thing!

4 comments:

  1. My sister Autumn told me about Nicole tonight. I remember Nicole from CMU. I always loved watching her floor routines :) Please tell her she is in my thoughts....you all are. I can't even imagine what you are all going through. I hope for better days and Nicole beating this!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great update Steve! I'm going to dedicate my next Rockband song on the guitar to Nicole and you! Much love from up north! -Phil

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Talicska (Turner and Van Wormers by marriage) clan from Auburn are all praying for Nicole, you and the Bills Family!

    ReplyDelete